coast defense

Masthead Image

Fort Heath

Fort Heath was first acquired in 1890 as a site for coast defense. Initially, it was thought that a large grouping of 12-inch coast defense mortars would be located on its 17.2 acres, in a fort bearing its location name: Grovers Cliff. However, the mortars were moved inland somewhat, to Fort Banks, and development proceeded on Fort Heath's major asset, the three 12-inch guns of Battery Winthrop.


"Gibberish" Text

The Latin-like filler text that appears on pages-in-process on this website will be replaced by real text as it is written.