Battery Ward was designed to mount two 10-inch guns, M1888 M1, on disappearing carriages, M1894. Like Battery Hitchcock to its left, this battery was also completed in 1899, giving Fort Strong a continuous line of five 10-inch weapons, which were intended to engage enemy ships beyond the range at which they could shell downtown Boston. Battery Ward's guns could cover all northern approaches to the harbor and could reach north out as far as East Point in Nahant or south to Nantasket Beach in Hull.
Taylor-Raymond shell hoists were not original the battery, but were added to each gun's magazine in 1906. Installation of the 25 KW generator room was accomplished in 1918, lagging behind Battery Hitchcock by a couple of years,
Again, records indicate that at least one of the guns of the battery (Gun 2) was fired 134 times during its life--about the same level of activity as was reported for Gun 2 at Battery Hitchcock.
Slide 1 of the second gallery at left shows an interesting oddity--the "OBSELETE BATTERY" indicated on the plan, about 80 ft. northeast of the burster slab of Battery Ward, Gun 1. This is an old smoothbore cannon battery that was emplaced on these heights before the Civil War. The author has not yet bushwacked through the thick, thorny undergrowth to confirm the present status of the remains of this fomer battery.